Rickenbacker

Recently, I have been getting back into the wonders of Rickenbacker guitars. 12-string, of course. Great stuff!

What a sound- and thanks to one George Harrison (OHNOTHIMAGEN)- the world is a better place for his endorsement of said instruments. In 1964, Hari Jorgeson introduced the second 12-string Rickenbacker to the world via the Beatles recordings "Can't Buy Me Love" and "You Can't Do That". After seeing this guitar in the film "A Hard Day's Night", Roger McGuinn of The Byrds went out and bought himself one- and so was born- the jingle jangle sound of Folk-Rock. I love it.

In my day, I have owned two Ricks. First was a 370-12 in black which I sold to a friend while working on Wall Street. I used the cash as a down payment on the instrument I have owned since: a 1988 fireglo Roger McGuinn Limited Edition 12-string (#374 of 1,000). This rare guitar features a fast action neck and active compressor (which reminds me, I must change the battery in that thingie). Personally, I am not a fan of the compressor sound so I usually stick with the regular Rick settings. When played through my 1972 & 73 Franken-Fender Twin Reverb amp, wow, what a sound!



1988 fireglo Roger McGuinn 12-String Rickenbacker (Photo courtesy of Gary's Classic Guitars.....which, unfortunately, is not me):





And a close up of my guitar:




Comments

  1. That's the one you played in the studio for my recording of "Silver Threads and Golden Needles". Very distinctive sound!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Counterfeit Beatles Box Sets

I'll Cry Instead - The Beatles (1964)

"Here Comes The Sun" - The Blue Meanies Live At "Beatles Blast, 2019"